Castiglione Olona and the Collegiate Church Compound
The village of Castiglione Olona has ancient origins. It was a fortress in Roman times and later the village became the subject of a fierce dispute between the Visconti and Torriani families as they fought for years to gain control over the area around the banks of the River Olona.
Entering the village you'll step back in tiem: you can't miss the Church of the Most Holy Body of Christ, also known as the Villa Church, Palazzo Branda Castiglioni, remains of the door that once led into the ancient castle and the Collegiata church compound with the church and baptistery. The chruch was built in the Gothic-Lombard style with a Latin cross ground plan, and dedicated in 1425 to the Virgin Mary and to St. Stefano and St. Lawrence. Inside there are three naves and remarkable frescoes of the life of the Virgin Mary by Masolino da Panicale on the sides of the apse, which also features some frescoes of the Tuscan school.
The small museum of the Collegiata shows some precious sacred items and some important masterpieces.
If you're visiting the village during the summer don't miss the Palio dei Castelli that take place in Monteruzzo Castle, an event to remember the medieval times and history of Castiglione Olona and its inhabitants.
Inside the Palazzo dei Castiglioni in Monteruzzo, the MAP, or the Plastic Art Museum, was inaugurated in June 2004; inside it is possible to admire an original collection of more than fifty works from the seventies. The great success of plastic materials led to the creation of "Polimero Arte", an aesthetic research center and a laboratory equipped with technologies and qualified personnel from Mazzucchelli Celluloide, the most important factory in Italy in the production and processing of plastic material. Well-known artists of the time participated and many of their works were exhibited at prestigious national and international exhibitions.
INFO OF BRANDA CASTIGLIONI MUSEUM and MAP (PLASTIC ART MUSEUM)
ADDRESS: Piazza Garibaldi - Castiglione Olona / via Roma, 29 - Castiglione Olona (MAP, Museo Arte Plastica)
From 1 October 2022:
Last admission half an hour before closing
Extraordinary opening for groups:Tuesday
- Full ticket (Branda Castiglioni Museum + MAP Plastic Art Museum): € 3
- Reduced ticket (children aged 6 to 14 and minimum 20 people): € 2
- free admission for children up to 6 years and for residents of Castiglione Olona
Dog of small size allowed if hold in arms, in compliance with the hygiene and public safety rules*
*Information by the Museum. For any other question please check the guidelines of the Museum
INFO OF MUSEO DELLA COLLEGIATA
ADDRESS: via Cardinal Brenda - Castiglione Olona
WINTER TIMETABLE (OCTOBER 1 - MARCH 31):
- Tuesday to Saturday: 9.30 - 12.30 / 14.30 - 17.30
- closed on Mondays
SUMMER HOURS (1 APRIL - 30 SEPTEMBER):
- from Tuesday to Saturday: 10.00 - 13.00 / 15.00 - 18.00
- closed on Mondays
- Sundays and holidays (all year): 10.00 - 13.00 / 15.00 - 18.00 (first Sunday of the month open all day: 10.00 - 18.00). Extraordinary openings by reservation.
- Full ticket: € 6
- Reduced ticket (children aged 6 to 18 and minimum 20 people, religious, journalists with an order card): € 4
- Family ticket (2 adults + 2 or more children): € 16
- Free ticket: children under 6, disabled people, residents of Castiglione and qualified tourist guides
ATTENTION: FOR ANY TIME CHANGES AND REGULATIONS IN FORCE, PLEASE VISIT THE RELEVANT ORGANISATION'S ONLINE SITE.
Discover our TOURS.
Plan your stay and your experience in the land of the lakes.