Masnago Castle and Museum of Modern and Contemporary Art
Masnago Castle features architecture from many different periods ranging from the Middle Ages to the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries. With a tower and splendid frescoed interiors, this mediaeval fortress feels more like a stately home than a defensive stronghold. It is particularly renowned for the series of frescoes in the Room of Pastimes and the Room of Vices and Virtues.
Masnago Castle is home to several permanent historical art collections with works by some of Lombardy’s leading modern painters, such as Hayez, Bertini, Cremona, Ranzoni, Pellizza from Volpedo and the first Divisionist work by Balla. It also has an extremely important collection of drawings by Il Piccio that were formerly in the Piero Chiara collection.
The castle is surrounded by Parco Mantegazza, a tiny botanical garden.
ADDRESS: via Cola di Rienzo, 42 - Varese
- from Tuesday to Sunday: 9.30 am - 12.30 am / 2 pm - 6 pm.
Closed: Mondays (excluding Easter Monday), 1st January, Easter, 1st May, 1st November, 25th December, 24thand 31st December (afternoon only)
- Pass ticket (Castle + Villa Mirabello): € 5
- Reduced ticket (groups over 10 people): € 3
- Free ticket: under 18, card 'Abbonamento Musei Lombardia', teacher with class, touristic guides, disabled
- Reduced ticket: a2a, ACTL, FAI Fondo per l'Ambiente Italiano, Family card, Federalberghi, Iper Carta Vantaggi, Italia Nostra, Touring Club Italiano, Varesecorsi, Varese #doyoulake card
Dog of small size allowed if hold in arms, in compliance with the hygiene and public safety rules*
* Information by the Castle. For any other question please check the guidelines of the Castle
ATTENTION: FOR ANY TIME CHANGES AND REGULATIONS IN FORCE, PLEASE VISIT THE RELEVANT ORGANISATION'S ONLINE SITE.
Discover our TOURS.
Plan your stay and your experience in the land of the lakes.
Cover photo: danielechierichetti13