Visconti di San Vito Castle (Somma Lombardo)
The castle was built in the thirteenth century and lived in by the Visconti family from 1251. Part of the west facade was altered during the 17th century, as were the interiors, which were renovated in the Baroque style with exquisitely frescoed and lavishly furnished rooms featuring 17th century frescoes attributed to the school of Procaccini. A number of collections are on display in different rooms in the castle: there is a large, rather strange collection of shaving plates in the “Seasons Room”, a beautiful collection of 360 stuffed birds; a large collection of 16th century Spanish weapons and armour; and an interesting collection of finds depicting early civilisation in Golasecca.
Guided tours are available every Saturday and Sunday and on public holidays: 10 - 11.30 a.m. / 2.30 - 6 p.m.